February 25, 2021, Framework, established in San Francisco in 2019, showcased its first product, Framework Laptop, which is a thin, high-performance 13.5-inch laptop that can be easily upgraded, customized and repaired and is boasted as one of the best of its like:
- The Framework Laptop has a precision-formed and milled aluminum housing, measures 15.85 mm in thickness and weighs only 1.3 kg.
- The display of the Framework Laptop is 13.5-inch with 3:2 aspect ratio and 2256×1504 HD resolution, It also features a 1080p 60fps webcam with a hardware privacy switch, a decent 55Wh battery supporting long time work including web browsing, gaming and word processing, etc. The silent keyboard features 1.5mm key travel.
- The Framework Laptop will have a heart of an 11th-generation Intel Core processor and can be configured with Wi-Fi 6E, the DDR4 memory can be up to 64GB and 4TB or more Gen4 NVMe storage.
Framework Laptop customer will be provided the following upgrade, customization and repair options:
- The unique Framework expansion card system will eliminate the traditional adapters, and the customers can choose exactly which port they need and which side of the laptop where the expansion card resides. The Framework Laptop has four bays, which can fit USB-C, USB-A, HDMI, DisplayPort, MicroSD, ultra-fast storage, high-end headphone amplifier, etc.
- A very attractive feature the Framework Laptop has is the easy upgrade of the performance of the laptop when a major version update of the laptop is made by just swapping the entire motherboard.
- For components that can be easily worn, such as battery, screen, keyboard, and custom-colored magnetic bezel, the customers can easily replace any of them and the online guide and store can be directed to by the QR code printed on each item.
- Framework will regularly release new upgrades, and partner with other companies that can design and manufacture compatible Framework modules and let them sell the products via the Framework Marketplace.
The Framework Laptop is available in various pre-configured models running either Windows 10 Home or Pro. The package will also include a screwdriver so that you can upgrade the laptop at any time you want. For those who are good at DIY and modification, Framework also created the Framework Laptop DIY Edition, which is the only high-end notebook that can be used as a module kit. You can customize and assemble modules, as well as choose Windows or install your preferred Linux distribution.
Framework laptops will be shipped in the summer of 2021.